Tees Valley Screen is an exciting new programme of activity delivered by Northern Film + Media and designed to support talent, ambition and growth across the screen industries in the Tees Valley.
As part of this programme Northern Film + Media has teamed up with BFI Network to find six Tees Valley based filmmakers to make exciting, sharable, fresh comedy stings. These shorts are a chance to be playful, experiment, take risks and give new talent the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with regional crew and producers.
We will commission 6 x 90 second films with a budget of £1000 each and support filmmakers to find the right team, plug skills gaps and engage with industry mentors.
- WRITER-DIRECTORS: Must be based in the Tees Valley (Middlesbrough, Hartlepool, Stockton-On-Tees and Darlington) only. Directors can come from any filmmaking background both fiction / non-fiction. We also welcome applications from people with track records in other creative areas such as theatre, stand up, digital, marketing etc.
- PRODUCERS can apply to manage the slate or just one. Producers can be based anywhere in the North East.
- All applicants must be over 18 years old and not in full time education.
- Producers and Directors must be available take part in a training workshop in the Tees Valley wk commencing 10th June. Led by an established producer, the session will cover all the key areas they must be across inc. health + safety, insurance, rights issues etc. This will also be an opportunity to address any issues particular to their films.
- Submissions will be selected by Northern Film + Media and BFI Network.
- Films must be a max of 90 secs in length.
MICRO SHORTS TIMELINE
Launch // May 2nd 2019
Pre-application surgeries // 21st May 2019 – to signup for a surgery to discuss your ideas email email@example.com
Deadline for apps // 10am 3rd June 2019
Short-listing // 1 week
Commissions announced // 10th June 2019
Training Workshop // 15th June 2019
Development sessions // wk beg 17th June
Production window // 4 weeks
Rough assembly / 7th July 2019
Final delivery // 15th July 2019
Screening // September 2019
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the following information in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10am on the 3rd June 2019:
- Script of your comedy short (max 90 secs)
- A one page document including a short synopsis of your idea. A description of your approach as a director touching on tone and visual ambition and any info on cast/talent if you have it. A short biography and one link to a previous film/creative project of your own. Your address and contact details.
Please submit the following information in a one page PDF doc to email@example.com by 10am on the 3rd June 2019:
- Outline how many of the films you would be interested in producing – this can be one, two… or all six
- Tell us why you are interested in producing comedy shorts and how it would benefit your development
- A short biography of you / your company +
- Your address and contact details
Image by Kev Howard courtesy of Andy Berriman